Hey VASC Members! It’s Five for Friday!
Jump Start your weekend with these interesting articles, educational links and resources we’ve been “pinning.” Check out these posts concerning mental health, standing desks, and self esteem. And follow ‘VASC School Counselor’ on Pinterest to get even more great resources!
1. “We are so excited to share with you our newest 50 people 1 question short – Comfortable. We hope that this video will inspire you to be more comfortable and confident in yourself. Beauty is not about what you don’t have, but about being comfortable in your own skin. Thank you to iNature Skincare (http://www.inatureskincare.com) for sponsoring this video!”
2. “Standing desks, popular with a growing number of office workers who claim all-over health benefits, may be the right answer for fidgety, off-task students and their frustrated teachers. According to new research and a handful of NEA members who have alternative desks in their classrooms, educators who enable students to burn energy from their seats can reduce discipline problems and increase learning.”
Several articles on Mental Health
3. “Mental health suffers from a major image problem. One in every four people experiences mental health issues — yet more than 40 percent of countries worldwide have no mental health policy. Across the board it seems like we have no idea how to talk about it respectfully and responsibly.”
4. “And for Vinogradov and other researchers who study the disease, the antipsychotics aren’t really getting at the disease itself. They are just treating one symptom of it. “We haven’t been addressing these underlying cognitive dysfunctions, which are really at the heart of what impede people’s ability to have a fulfilling and successful life,” says Vinogradov.”
5. and a sobering mental health story from our own state:
“I never wanted to believe that about my son,” Deeds says. “I just wanted to get him back.”
Be sure to take advantage of VCA’s extended early bird registration for the VCA Convention in Williamsburg from Nov 20-22nd. The VCA member discounted registration rate deadline is November 14, 2014. After November 14, on-site registration will be available November 20-22, 2014. The Williamsburg Lodge will continue to honor the $118 + tax room rate, based on availability. Visit Virginia Counselors Association to register. There are SO many things for school counselors to do, check out our VASC Highlights for VCA: VASC at the VCA Convention in Williamsburg, November 20-22 – Virginia Alliance for School Counseling.
Your Virginia Alliance for School Counseling Board
PS Did you miss our post about Graduate Student of the Month, Amanda Clark! Read all about it here